How to Choose the Right Size Carpet Stair Tread Cover
- Written by Hyne Site
- Category: Arts
- Hits: 64
Appropriate size carpet stair tread covers will do wonders to highlight the space on your staircase and the whole home in general. Since they serve as the main focal point joining the bottom of the stairs to the floor above, they have to be the correct size.
Carpet stair tread covers are available in various sizes, and to help you pick the right size here are some general pointers:
Basics: Before we go any further, let us first clarify some basic concepts.
- Stair tread covers are small sections of non-slip carpeting that attach to the top of each step in a staircase. The purpose of the stair tread covers is to provide safe cushioning and traction for the foot traffic.
- Traditional stair tread covers do not cover the entire stair, but rather only cover the most commonly used portion in the center. This allows them to be placed on the stairs, without hiding the beautiful wood, or any other material the staircase is made out of.
- Keep in mind that stair tread covers come in a variety of colors, styles, shapes and sizes.
Length: As mentioned previously, traditionally stair tread covers are not made to cover the entirety of the stair. Because they only sit on the top of the step, the length of the stair tread cover is limited to the size of the average step.
- Most stair tread covers measure between 8 and 10 inches long, but different length stair tread covers are also available in today’s market.
- To determine the length you need, simply measure from one side of the step to the other end of the step. This measurement is the maximum length of stair tread you can buy.
- It is not recommended that you get the full length of the step for the stair tread covers. Take the length of the step, and reduce ¼ the size on each end; that is the correct length.
Width: Stair tread covers come in a variety of widths. The width of the tread will determine how much of the stair is covered. Similar to the length, the width of the stair tread cover is limited to the size of the average step.
- Stair tread covers traditionally range from 22.5 inches 36 inches wide.
- As a general rule, wider stair tread covers are typically used outdoors while narrower ones are used indoors.
- It is not recommended that you get the full width of the step for the stair tread covers. Take the width of the step, and reduce ¼ the size on each end; that is the correct width.
Other aspects to consider: There is a myriad of other aspects to consider, when purchasing the right stair tread covers—too many to be discussed here in detail. However, we can give you a few pointers here:
- Each stair on your staircase will need a tread, so count the number of stairs in your home before shopping.
- Many designers will allow you to buy additional treads if the set does not have enough. Some might allow you to purchase treads individually, so you can select as many as are needed for your project.
- Individual stair treads are convenient for homes with longer or shorter than average staircases.
- When shopping for stair tread covers, it's also important to consider the quantity.
Introducing Sofia Rugs, a perfect combination of functional and stylish rugs and stair tread covers, available in various sizes.
Our products are manufactured in Turkey, with an unprecedented level of ingenuity, and possess an unparalleled level of quality.
We strive to provide our customers with the best quality product, within a reasonably priced range. We adhere to the principle that bringing quality and style should not put a strain on the wallet. With Sofia Rugs, our customers get the best bang for their buck, period!